Wednesday, March 12, 2014

April Rhodes Riding Peplum

Have you tried April Rhodes' Riding Peplum pattern? I bought it just after Christmas (and just before my pledge to not buy any new patterns in the near future :-), I've made 2 now and I love it.



I knew I liked the peplum style (after initially resisting it) after trying and loving Victory patterns' Ava. And as I was looking for another good versatile summer top pattern I thought I'd give the Riding peplum a try. Plus I saw the versions that the girls at Fancy Tiger Crafts made and loved them - it's always nice to see other people's versions of a pattern, don't you think?



I love the proportions of this top and the 'flippiness' - I am declaring that a new word ;-) It's simple and easy to wear but a nice alternative to my beloved Wiksten Tanks when I feel like something a little different.


The design is a simple 4 piece construction which pulls on over your head - no zipper or extra openings. I made a size small which fit nicely around the shoulders but then I went and took the side seams in as much as I could from just below the bust to the waist so that I could still slip it over my head. This was because I wanted a slightly more fitted look. April does mention in the instructions that if you wanted it really fitted you'd need to put a zipper in the side. But of course this would make it a more complicated project. I think if you use fairly drapey fabric and take it in the side seams if necessary you can still get a reasonably fitted look, while still having enough ease for movement and comfort. 



I also lengthened the bodice pieces as I do with all waisted garments, as I have a long torso. The neckline and armholes are bound with bias binding, which is a little time consuming but produces a nice finish. And considering that the main construction of the garment is so quick, it's still a quick project. I used a piece of printed voile from my stash (leftover from this Wiksten tank).

I made a silk Riding Peplum to wear on a girls night out for International Womens Day recently. If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen a pic of me snipping threads from it whilst waiting for my train, hee hee :-) Blog post to come.

5 comments:

  1. I really like this on you Jo - and definitely prefer the more fitted look that you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine. I have to wiggle a bit to get into it because it's firm but that's OK ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love this! And I can't help but think it would look gorgeous longer, as a dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking the same Inder! It would have to be in an equally floaty fabric so that it wouldn't puff out too much (otherwise wouldn't suit my shape I think), but I think it could work... if I can get it out of stash fabric I'll give it a go :-)

      Delete
    2. Actually I should add, for those who don't know the pattern, that it does already include pattern and instructions for a dress length.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails