Thursday, February 23, 2012

My creative space: my Minoru jacket




My creative space this week is all about my Minoru jacket in progress. It's my single crafty focus at the moment, which I was thinking was a bit boring of me until I read this post over at Make it Smirk on 'circle's of completion'. I love how other bloggers come up with topics that make me think - my life could definitely do with more circles of completion, so I'm going to keep going with this until it's properly done - scraps of fabric folded and put away, pattern neatly put back in the envelope etc. Another reason I'd like to get this one done and dusted is that I seem to be incapable of thinking about much else at the moment!



And what's keeping me so interested, night after night, is that there are so many fun details to work on with this pattern. It's certainly the most complex garment I've ever sewn. There are zips, elastic, lining, pockets and top stitching galore!

One of the reasons I started this project was because we are going on a family holiday to Tasmania in April (yay!) and I thought I could do with a new jacket for the cooler weather there. Can anyone recommend any crafty places to go around Hobart? I'd love any recommendations.

More creative spaces to explore over here.

8 comments:

  1. Seriously impressive! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! I'll wait til I've finished it to see if it is a success - hopefully I won't stuff anything up!

      Delete
  2. Wow your jacket is looking really great so far and I love the top stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee thanks Lamina - I'm not so sure about the top stitching now that it's almost finished - maybe looks a bit too casual, but I think I'll just see it through now, I can always make another one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking really really good. Keep it up! Don't give up! And don't let that bleedin' (literally) denim get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great so far Jo. love the circles of competition concept. Something I am continuously striving to do.......... it is r.e.a.l.l.y. hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hobart crafty shops. Hmm, there are a few crafty supply shops and loads of shops where people have contributed their crafty goodies.
    Supplies: Frangipani Fabrics in Sandy Bay, The Quilted Crow in New Town, Possum Patch in town.
    Goodies: Nook in North Hobart (my favourite), Funky Homes in town, Inside in town, Love and Clutter in town (so lovely), Moma (Mona Market) at Mona (only on Saturday afternoons until April) and there are heaps of artisan stores in Salamanca. Just wandering through the old buildings is lovely in itself. And the Salamanca Market on Saturdays too.
    There are probably heaps more but these are just off the top of my head.
    If you were here this weekend you wouldn't need your fantastic jacket! We had 38 yesterday and we're supposed to have 37 today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jacket looks lovely. I've been looking at the Minoru jacket pattern for awhile however, at this time in my life I can only focus on simple sewing projects. I can't wait to see your jacket completed! Your style is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails