Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weekend cooking: raspberry ripple icecream

The weekend's a time when I sometimes get the opportunity to cook something different or fun, a change from the quick and easy routine of weeknights. Come and see what I've been up to this weekend...


One of the times I feel challenged by my big girl's food allergies are when I need to prepare a special dessert, and I never want to leave her out. So many desserts include egg in the list of ingredients, including many of my favourites: tarts, pavlova, mousse, cakes and puddings.

Some lovely friends came to visit last night and cooked us dinner. What a treat! We had delicious spring rolls, noodles and traditional Vietnamese pancakes with fresh herbs and a vast array of fillings including tofu for me and pork and prawns for everyone else. It was all amazing and a very enjoyable experience. Thank you L & D x



For dessert I wanted to make a fruit tart and when I was researching what I could use instead of the usual creme patissiere I stumbled upon a recipe for a delicious looking icecream that didn't use eggs. It also looked easy and didn't require the use of an icecream machine. I thought it might be nice to make this as well in case the tart didn't work out, and knew it would probably be a winner with the kids. The ingredients are quite decadent and it's certainly a special occasion dish. It's quite rich and sweet so you can only eat a little (though I did push it and have a second serve, narrowly avoiding feeling sick ;-) It's lucky that I did make it as the tart was kind of OK but not great, whereas everyone enjoyed this one and it's all gone now, always a good sign! Here's the recipe in case you'd like to try it.

This recipe is adapted from the one I found in Australian Good Food magazine.

Easy egg-free raspberry ripple icecream

300g frozen raspberries*
80ml apple juice
150g caster sugar

1 1/2 cups thickened cream
300g (about 3/4 can) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place the raspberries and juice in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 mins, until raspberries soften. Add caster sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase to high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a medium-low and simmer for 5-6mins, until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Strain berry mix through a fine sieve, discarding as many seeds as possible.

Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add condensed milk and vanilla extract and beat until soft peaks form. Pour cream mixture into a loaf tin lined with cling film.


Drizzle about 3/4 of the raspberry mixture over the cream mix, reserving the remainder. Using a spatula or knife, stir mixture gently in a swirling motion a few times or until a nice pattern is formed but the syrup is not thoroughly mixed through. Cover with foil and freeze overnight or for at least 5 hours.


To serve, take out of freezer and let soften slightly. Then cut into slices and serve with remaining raspberry syrup.



Serves about 8.

* Any frozen berries could be used. The original recipe used blackberries, which would be lovely, but as I couldn't get those I used raspberries instead. If you wanted to use fresh berries they may just need to be cooked a little more until they break down.

5 comments:

  1. How lovely to have dinner cooked for you... it looks delicious :) The icecream looks like it wouldn't ahve lasted long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, and I'm pleased to find an ice cream recipe that doesnt seem to call for an ice cream machine/churner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that ice-cream recipe. Though I bet it would be even better with the raspberry swirls. Yum yum to the Vietnamese meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely will try your raspberry ripple icecream this weekend, looks sooo good!
    Thank you!
    By the way, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much A Little World. Enjoy the icecream!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails