Sunday, October 14, 2012

KCWC wrap up: more shorts

IMG_1425

On the last 2 days of KCWC I finished off these shorts, another piece to add to my big girl's spring wardrobe. I also started a couple of new bags for my girls but they'll have to be finished later... ah, so many things to sew, so little time!

Japanese kids sewing patterns

The pattern is from the Japanese Happy Homemade vol 2 - kids book, "L - Knee length shorts". Though they're not knee length, as I ran short of fabric, and also my girl likes them short.

IMG_1401
I used a plain medium weight denim so that hopefully they will go with lots of tops.
IMG_1426
I only just squeezed the pattern out of the small piece of fabric from my stash (used also in my Minoru jacket and my boy's pants). As I didn't have enough for the pockets I used a blue linen from the stash, then thought I'd trim them with some ric rac, sandwiched in between layers, to add a bit of interest.
Back pocket detail
And instead of the square pockets on the pattern I used the curved design from pattern "M - shorts with a back pocket" to give a slightly feminine feel.

This was the first time I'd used this book and I enjoyed it - the pattern instructions take a little to work out, as they're incredibly concise, so I'm not sure they'd be great for a beginner, but for anyone with a little experience I think it would be fine.

IMG_1403
I had to include this twirling pic, even though you can't see the shorts under the cute flowy top (not mama-made)...
IMG_1413
and this one too - never one to be left out, her sister got in on the twirling action too :-)

Even though I didn't finish my wishlist for KCWC I'm pleased with the pieces I've finished, I learnt some new tricks, and best of all (as it always is with KCWC), I've been inspired and delighted by all the amazing things people have made. I have quite a few new things on my 'to do' list now! If you haven't already checked it out, have a look at the amazing stuff in the Flickr group. And thanks has to go to Meg for hosting it once again!

4 comments:

  1. Love the shorts! I've seen so many lovely uses of ric rac during this KCWC. I need to find a way to sneak it into boys clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these shorts - the ric rac is so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so simple and cute, and the ric rac is such a nice touch. The twirling looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails