Friday, October 14, 2011

KCWC peasant top & repurposed skirt



When I spotted a sweet peasant top with a little tie at the hem I thought it would look great on my little girl and decided to make one during KCWC. I used this pattern for the top, then the tutorial from the link above for the tie (follow the links and it's all explained).



I'd been given this cute orange and white spot print fabric by my sister-in-law's mother (hi Margrit, if you're out there, and thanks!). It's a lovely medium weight cotton with a stripey texture. I teamed it with an unusual print for the tie, also from Margrit. The tie is a nice way to use up small scraps or feature interesting fabrics. I'll definitely try it again in future.



For the skirt I was inspired by this tutorial for refashioning a women's skirt into a girls one. I'd bought a denim skirt in a big bag from my favourite thrift shop (the one that sells unsorted clothes by weight) and I liked the wash but the fit wasn't right on me, so I thought I'd put it to use. The waist front is flat and there's elastic in the back, for easy dressing. It took a bit of adjusting to get the fit right for her but eventually it came together.



Just as an aside, in another thrift shop I recently came across these rolls of thread that I've been using for top stitching. I don't know if that's what they're for but they do look thicker than ordinary weight and work well with a size 18 machine needle. The brownish one at the front looks very similar to regular denim stitching.



Our conversation after the little photo shoot:
Me: "You look lovely sweetie, that top is so cute on you!"
Her: "Yeah. 'Cept I probly won't wear it coz the sleeves 'noy me"
OK then...

5 comments:

  1. These two go so well together.Did she say why the sleeves annoy her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trula. She says the elastic annoys her, despite the fact that I deliberately made the sleeves loose. Hopefully it's just a matter of her getting used to something different - she's a bit of a fuss-pot like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! i added to my kcwc inspirations post today (you can see here http://imaginegnats.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-kcwc-inspiration.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO my daughter, too...not a fan of the elastic sleeves.

    Darling top; I love the contrasting band/tie on the bottom-- lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I hate it when my kids do that after I spend time making them something. This is truly adorable though! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails