Friday, March 16, 2012

It was just a matter of time...



... until I gave in and bought the Tova pattern from Wiksten.

Since my fellow craft-addict and I saw the blog post on Sunday night (over red wine and chocolate) announcing that Wiksten patterns were now available as pdf downloads I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I've always loved the pattern, but at the printed version's price (which I'm sure is fair) plus postage to Australia on top it was not going to happen :-( But $10 for the pdf, now that's "practically free!" as a friend used to say. And I'm going to be using stash fabric - for the first one at least! So that counts for something, right?!

Check out this hopeless chatter that's been going on in my head for the last 5 days:

You have enough patterns! Yeah, but most of them are for kids.

OK, but what about the Schoolhouse Tunic? And the Shearwater Kaftan? Both tunic styles, front opening, adaptable to dress length, blah blah. Yeah, but this is different, it's special.

Isn't that just because it's popular at the moment? They're turning up all over the craft & sewing blogs. Well, there is that, but I've always loved that style, with the yoke and stuff.

Well, you could adapt an old pattern or make one yourself you know, you've got that Cal Patch book just waiting to be used again. Yeah, but this is already designed, Wiksten have sorted out all the issues and created a lovely pattern. And I may never get around to doing it myself.

You shouldn't really be spending more money on sewing you know. Oh shut up, I'm going to buy it, OK.

And there it ended.

So tonight, when the kids are asleep (hopefully!)  I shall sit watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on TV with my printed pdfs, a roll of sticky tape (if the kids haven't used it all) and maybe a glass of wine, and stick to my heart's content. Ah, bliss ;-)

- - - - - - -

By the way, thank you so much for all your lovely comments on my Minoru Jacket. What a fabulous thing it is to have such wonderfully supportive bloggy friends. And hey, you save me from boring the ears off my non-crafty offline friends ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Such a great pattern, even your inner voice will be happy you splurged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha hilarious!!! At least I'm not the only one who has crazy.. sorry... very sensible converstations with myself!
    I think the pattern is totally worth the $10..if not more... imagine how long it might take to re-work another pattern... arghhh!
    Good decision I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud. I've been having the same conversation in my head for months now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching Ms Fischer as I type.......

    About the tova, at $10 it's a steal, and considering your going to use fabric from your stash I'd say you've done well - a tailored blouse for 10 bucks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks like a really cute pattern. Looking forward to seeing your version of it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. baa haa... I knew you'd cave first. After all, my internal discussions have me finishing some current projects before I even buy the pattern, let alone start making it. Don't post any nice tops you make from this pattern until I've done 3 birthday pressies.... ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just jealous of my new pattern (she says, poking tongue out)! I had those " finish your current projects first" voices too - don't listen to them!

      Delete
    2. Yes jealous but the first of my birthday presents is due next saturday...

      Delete
  7. thanks so much for the Tova alert! I had the same thoughts exactly! the price of the pattern plus shipping to Australia made it too expensive, but as soon as I read your post (even though it was 2am after watching too many eps of The West Wing with hubby) I went straight over to Wiksten's site and bought the downloadable! I'm a very happy little Vegemite now, been wanting that one ever since it first came out! I even bought some gorgeous white fabric from Tessuti in the hope I could find or draft another cheaper pattern for the same kinda top! so thanks heaps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, I'm so glad my post helped you! I found a sew-along that's starting this week (see my side bar) so I think I'll try to join that. And I totally understand on the 2am front - its do hard not to stay up sewing or watching tv late at night ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo, I just stumbled apon your blog and have been enjoying all the sewing eye candy I have found here! I too have recently purchased the Tova and intend to use my treasured piece of Nani Iro fabric to make myself one - but I'm too scared to cut into it! How pathetic is that? Think I'll have to make a muslin first just to make sure I get it right! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails