Thursday, March 8, 2012

My finished Minoru



It's done, woo hoo! This pattern, the Minoru Jacket from Vancouver based designer Tasia of Sewaholic has been a really enjoyable project and had lots of little features to keep me interested. For once I slowed down and traded my usual 'quick & dirty' sewing style for slow and measured, and enjoyed the journey. I'd read that several people felt their jacket came together quickly, but for me it didn't - I spent ages on it, but enjoyed it all and feel satisfied that I've done it to the best of my ability. Along the way I checked the Sew-along posts on the Sewaholic blog and found the little hints and tips very helpful.

There are lots of notes following for those interested. And plenty of pictures. I figure that considering I spent so long making it I might as well splurge on the pics ;-)


Fabric

I don't like to think of the main fabric as denim, though it is - I'm really not into wearing 'double denim' at all. And I will probably wear my jacket with jeans most of the time, if I'm honest - I'm a jeans girl at heart. So I didn't set out looking for denim but loved this when I saw it. And it has a little stretch too, which lets me wear it quite fitted while still allowing movement. The lining is a beautiful Amy Butler cotton print that I'd been coveting for ages.

The only other thing to note is that though I didn't feel the denim was too thick when I bought it, now that it's finished it does feel quite bulky. So when I make another (I'm sure I won't be able to resist one day) I'll choose a lighter weight fabric. We've had a lot of rain here lately but I couldn't wear it as I'd be way too hot, so a lighter one would be handy.

As I mentioned in this post, I felt so happy with my selection of both the outer and lining... until I absent mindedly threw it all into the washing machine to pre-wash it and the dye in the denim ran like crazy all over the beautiful lining fabric. I have tried a few things to set it, and to cut a long story short, I'm still not sure it won't leave me looking like a smurf if I get stuck in rain, but I'll give it a go. And if it does... I'll swear. A lot.


Zip & top stitching

I had trouble finding a zip long enough for the front, as I note many others did too. The great chartreuse zip I found on that heady fabric shopping day was just going to be way too short, so I resorted to a blue one, which is still too short but acceptable to me. Also the pop of colour, when I tried it,made the jacket look more sporty than I was aiming for, so it turned out well. Needless to say, my seam ripper was busy on this project! I didn't want to be wishing I'd done something different later on.

I had high hopes for the top stitching after seeing this version where it's a strong feature. But I had to limit my use of it when I just couldn't get the tension right on both sides, so where both sides were to be seen I used ordinary black thread which became almost invisible. I also can't use a double needle on my machine, so had to line it up by eye and it's a bit wonky in spots, but not to worry.


Pockets

I loved the inside pockets (see lining pic) but decided to make them blend in with the lining by using the lining fabric as opposed to the outer fabric. I didn't want to interrupt the lovely print with big squares of dark colour.

And as I noted many others did, I added pockets to the outside. I can see the merit in leaving the silhouette clean, as the pattern's been designed, and my pockets do push it out of shape a little, but overall I felt it was more important to have them. While doing my research on sewing blogs I loved seeing all the different pockets being added by people, and though the side seam pockets that I did are not in such a natural place (being at the sides rather than a bit further forward where the hands would naturally sit) they're the right solution for me. This tutorial is pretty much how I did mine, and how I add side seam pockets to any garment.




Hood

This was fun to make. I think the design is really clever and Tasia has done a great job on the pattern. I did a French seam down the centre as I couldn't bear to see an awful overlooked edge, and I like the way it looks. I loved the lined versions I'd seen and knew it would be simple to do, but my denim was quite thick already and I didn't want to add bulk. When I fold my hood up and zip it into the collar it's a bit bulky and doesn't sit flat, but again that's my choice of fabric.

The only small thing I'd fault about the pattern is that it bothered me that the raw seam around the neck is visible through the zippered opening. This probably doesn't make sense unless you've made the pattern, but if you do, can I urge you to finish off both of those seams after you've sewn them and before you top stitch them. I'm thinking I'll add a line of top stitching (black) to seal it off.


So, all in all I loved this pattern. It was a very big project for me, but enjoyable right the way through and with a result that I'm pleased with.

Check out more creative spaces over here.

25 comments:

  1. Your new jacket is just gorgeous and definately deserves lots of photos on this post! You did such an amazing job and I am totally impressed with your top stitching! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I hope you enjoy wearing it as much as you enjoyed making it. Fabulous.
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new jacket. It is gorgeous, you did really well with picking the fabrics.

    I am to scared to attempt a project like that for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu have done an amazing job! It's a beautiful jacket, and you look really good in it. Enjoy wearing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jo, I am soooo impressed! Looks fabulous. I'm sure it'll get plenty of wear as the weather cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great jacket. You are very clever. Love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done it looks fantastic and I especially love the fit

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done a wonderful job with your jacket. I hope you get lots of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Wonderful job on a fantastic jacket. Looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow- it's amazing - great fabric choices - and I'm sure the dye will wear off in time.

    It's really smart. You can rightly be proud of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It is smashing! And it looks so beautifully constructed and finished. I know what you mean - when I slow down and take my time, I am always so much happier with the final product. Here, your hard work really shows. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fabulous - beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thought it was time I popped over to see what you've been up to and I'm glad I did - that jacket is totally fabulous. Because the jacket fabric is so much darker than yr jeans it doesn't creat make a 'double denim' look at all. Love the lining fabric, and as Lamina said your top stitching is to be congratulated :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just gorgeous! Well done, you! It looks really great on you and it's so well constructed.

    I think this is inspiring me to give this pattern a look...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome jacket Jo. Very impressed. I also love to slow down and take my time with more intricate sewing and top stitching which really lifts an item to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah I *really* love this jacket - your choice of lining is superb and the fit looks great. One of my favourites methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is terrific-wonderful topstitching and a great look overall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome! i love the denim, and your lining is very pretty. great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! Fantastic!! I really love your jacket! The denim and lining fabrics are so cool, and the topstitching really makes it pop. Hmm, I've got some lightweight/stretch denim in my stash...but I've just finished my own Minoru and need a change! I had exactly the same feeling about the inner hood/collar seam, but unfortunately I only discovered it after I'd finished and I'm not undoing any more seams!!
    You did a Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely amazing! I'd seen the pattern before, but it hadn't really grabbed me. Your version is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a brave move with the contrast topstitching - paid off though, this is one of the most professional looking Minoru's I've seen I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fabulous! I have never sewn myself a jacket before, but this post makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my gosh, this is so fantastic, I'm definitely wanting to try that pattern, the denim is such an awesome choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your Minoru, it has such a great fit and the fabric is really great! Would you mind telling which size did you make? I'm about to make my muslin version and i'm freaked it'll be too baggy...

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful jacket! Recently I bought this pattern ... it´s a great idea to make it from Jeans fabric.
    Happy Sewing!
    Petra

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails