Monday, March 28, 2011

Simplicity 3835 x 3

I recently discovered one of the "Built by Wendy" patterns, the one with the peasant-style top and dress with cute sleeve ties, AKA Simplicity 3835. And when I researched it I realised what a cult following it seems to have.



Not wanting to jump straight into making the dress, I had a go at the top, partly to see if the sizing was right. I cut up an old doona (duvet) cover I'd found and brought home in with one of my $6 bags from my favourite op shop. It's a blue/grey kind of open weave cotton (no label attached) that has a linen feel.

At first I thought I'd used a size too small, but then I kind of wiggled into it (there's no zip or opening apart from the elasticised neck opening) and it fit well. I even went on to put the darts in the back just to give it a bit more shape. Anything too sack-like can look pretty dreadful on me, so this helped. A little more wiggling and all was well...



Of course I couldn't stop there and decided to turn an old dress that had lost it's shape into another one. It's a very very soft cotton, Indian I think, beautiful to wear, but I'm just not that thrilled with it - maybe just too drapey? But anyway...



On I went. It seemed a shame to leave the leftover Alexander Henry fabric from my dress languishing in the stash, and, as many avid 3835 makers note, the pattern uses quite a small amount of fabric. Just as I was making a few final adjustments I realised that the fabric was upside down - ie flowers hanging down - on the front. Ah well, that's life, I told myself. What's a few droopy flowers between friends ;-)

So, all in all I'm pretty happy with Simplicity 3835 and ready to join the cult! Have you tried it?

2 comments:

  1. Well done Jo! Three more shirts to add to the rotation. As for the flowers, as I read on another blog recently it's a "design feature" not a mistake.

    Would love to have a poke around your favourite op shop - can you share the location???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails