Burdastyle Sewing Handbook that I received for my birthday back in May, the bag.
I'd worn out my current bag to the point where I was getting embarrassed to take it out, so a new one was in order. Wandering around Spotlight looking for fabric inspiration I spotted a silver vinyl in the upholstery section. I wasn't sure if it was interesting and a bit of fun or just plain tacky, but I didn't want to go with a plain fabric and just needed something, so off I went with half a metre of it.
I really enjoyed making this bag. The pattern instructions were straightforward and I thought the pattern was well designed. And the vinyl was actually fantastic to sew with. I thought it might be a bit challenging as obviously it can't be ironed but it was great - pliable but not slippery, able to be pinned (!) and my lovely old machine sewed like a dream with an ordinary needle and foot.
The only thing I changed about the pattern was to add inside pockets and a magnetic snap closure. For the lining I used an Ikea cotton from my stash.
When I'd finished I still wondered about the vinyl, so I asked the Mr what he thought (can you see what's coming here?). Looking sideways, he said that maybe he wasn't the right person to ask... hmm. So I'm thinking this might be one of those 'blinkered' sewing projects - you know the ones where you suspect it's not quite right BUT you:
1. are so thrilled to have finished the pattern,
2. feel a bit pleased with yourself that you have something new
3. are excited to have learnt some new skills and
4. feel chuffed that you have spent such a small amount of cash on it too
So you go with it anyway.
But hey, that's OK. I'm so happy to have a bag that is not stained, fraying and faded, one where I can find my keys easily (LOVE the elasticised side pockets - no more swearing when I can't find my keys ;-). And those straps - so comfy on my shoulder...
Tacky silver bag, I love you x
Tagging along with My Creative Space this week.