Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wiksten tank no. 2

The hot weather we've been having has spurred me on to make a few more clothes for myself (you can never have too many - right? ;-). And my latest favourite is this Wiksten tank top.

I've been wearing no. 1 to death. To quote my little girl: "oh mum, you're wearing that again!!" So I thought I'd use this pretty piece of voile from my stash (from Spotlight) for another. I'd originally bought it to use for a pair of harem pants for my big girl but had changed my mind (harem pants post to come).
IMG_1709_comp

As with the last top this one came together pretty quickly: fabric cut in one session, sewing seams in another and then the neck and armhole binding in another. In fact the binding is the thing that takes me the longest. All that pinning and pressing is worth it though as it makes for such a lovely finish.

IMG_1710_comp

I really like the style and fit of this pattern. It's comfortable and easy to wear. And even though voile is notorious for not lasting too long (it's so fine that it starts to fall apart after wearing and laundering many times) it drapes so beautifully that I think it's worth it.

I made a couple of small alterations to the pattern this time: I added a little ease in the bust as the previous one was a little tight but I liked the fit everywhere else. And I also lengthened the hemline by about an inch at the front and by about 2 at the back. I wanted to wear this top with my Black Spinal trousers and as they're tight like leggings I like to wear a top with them where the hemline falls at least to the crotch.

I'm sure there will be a Wiksten tank no. 3, it's just a matter of allocating some more fabric, preferably from the stash. Which, ahem, doesn't seem to be decreasing, even though that was one of my sewing goals for 2012, sigh...

Pop over to my creative space for lots of creative goodness.

 

4 comments:

  1. It looks fab Jo! Love the colour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great for the current heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! (And thanks for your lovely comment on my blog) You've inspired me to make another! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to cut into my practice fabric (voile)! But here's the thing... I have enough fabric for two fronts and backs. Exactly. But not enough to cut the bias binding in one cut. Argh! So I can either make more bias out of different fabric, or patch together bits and pieces from the leftovers of this fabric. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails