Monday, May 23, 2011

Quick morning cheese & olive rolls


One night last week I went out with some girlfriends for a few birthday drinks, which was a few more than I am used to these days! We had a great time, lots of laughing and stories, perfect!

In the morning I was craving something savoury to eat and also needed something to give my big girl for her 'little lunch' at school. I knew I had some '5 minute dough' in the fridge but didn't feel like cinnamon or vegemite, so scouted around and found a jar of kalamata olives and decided to try making olive & cheese rolls. Here's what I did in case you'd like to try them:



Set the oven to 220c with oven shelf at the top and pizza stone in if you have one.

Using the basic recipe (I'd substituted 1 cup of plain flour for wholemeal to add a bit of texture and goodness), pull out a lump of dough from the fridge. Pull and stretch it (or you can use a rolling pin if you prefer) into a rough rectangle (I did about 30 x 20cm) and let it rest til it comes to room temperature or at least for a while.

Sprinkle liberally with tasty cheese and then scatter with deseeded olives.



Start rolling up from the long side, lifting and being careful not to push the filling out as you go.



Once it's all rolled, cut into about 3cm lengths with a serrated knife.



Place them cut side up onto some baking paper. Slide onto your pizza stone (or place onto a tray and put tray into the oven) and cook for about 10 minutes or until puffed up and starting to brown.

Highly recommended for a slightly sore head or for school snacks ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, my internet has been down for afew days (shock horror - I know!) and I missed a couple of your posts. So, Happy Birthday!! Good luck with your stash busting, the cot set looks super fabulous and the olive and cheese rolls are an absolute fav around these parts :)
    Think I covered it all - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I wish my kids would eat olives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of this. Had a look at your basic recipe and, so simple, think even I could do this (I gave up on homebaked bread after trying to follow the incomprehensible instructions in the very beautiful Bourke Street Bakery book).

    ps. Your denim dress is great. Particularly with the blue tights!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails